This guide show you how to Jailbreak Iphone 4, 3GS and Ipad (not the Ipad 2) with the newly released IOS5 and most importantly how to restore to the previous backup(s).
As you know, IOS5 jailbreaking is still a tethered jailbreak that means every time the devices are reboot you will have to use redsn0w to enter DFU mode and have it “just boot tethered”. You will find tons of sites showing you how to jailbreak but restore to the previous backup(s) is a little bit tricky since the you have to deal with tethering reboot. The purpose of this guide is the help you for the second part – restoring after jailbreak.
- Download Itune 10.5, Redsn0w and IOS5 for your devices ( I won’t show you the links but please head to Google for that)
- Backup and sync your devices to latest setting, you will need to use that to restore. In case if you don’t know, Edit – Preferences – Devices tab will show the name of all your backups.
- Connect your iDevice with your PC via USB, and open iTunes 10.5 then Restore to iOS 5.0. Right after the devices are upgrade to IOS5 disconnect Itunes and ignore all the initial settings with iCloud, etc.
- Start Redsn0w, press on “Extras > Select IPSW” and point it to iOS 5.0 firmware ipsw file.
- Now select “Install Cydia” and click “Next”. Optionally (if available), you can also select any other option you like.
- Follow the instructions on Redsn0w to go thru the DFU mode and wait until you get iOS 5.0 jailbroken in few minutes
- Once current Redsn0w jailbreak is still tethered jailbreak, you will be required to connect your iOS device with your computer and run Redsn0w again then choose “Just boot tethered right now”.
- Now go to Cydia to set source and install some relevant apps (such as Installous, etc)
- Here is the tricky part. At this point your devices are jailbroken but you will lose all your previous setting as well as your previous apps. So you need to perform the restore to get back to what you have before. Now connect to Itunes then right click on your device, chose “Restore from backup” and select the name of the backup that you ‘re done in the first step to restore
- Your device will restore and reboot; however it will be stuck at about approximately 90% of the rebooting process. The reason is it need a tethering reboot with Redsn0w
- Keep everything (i.e. your device still connect to Itunes) and launch Redsnow to perform the tethering boot. Itunes will automatically be closed, wait for you device boot up and reconnect with Itunes to finish up the restore process